Sunday, June 28, 2009

Furniture Makeover - Part I

As part of the guest bedroom remodel, I decided to give the ugly dorm room twin bed a makeover.

This is my very first furniture makeover and wanted to "practice" on a piece that didn't cost much and in this case, costed NOTHING. We picked this up from a neighbor who was foreclosing on their home and was giving away several items for free. While I am not fond of its bland style (or lack of), I figured this will do for a designer wanna-be on a budget :) And I am just imagining how much nicer this bed will look with new and soft bedding.

So, I am doing this bed makeover in three sections - 1) Footbard 2) Headboard and then 3) the frame sides.

Here is the whole bed before:
Here is the footboard before:

After sanding, priming and spray painting, here is the footboard after:

I decided to do a "message-board" footboard to personalize our welcome for each of our guest. So what you are seeing as the black paint is actually chalkboard paint!

More pictures and a tutorial post to come!

13 comments:

Kara said...

That turned out just gorgeous! Love the chalkboard idea, so fun!

Jane said...

Clever! Imagine your guests reaction to their very own monogrammed/personalized bed! Very fun!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Cute idea!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Very neat idea!

~ Sarah

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That is so cute!!! Very clever. Visiting from Kimba's party. :)

Anna See said...

very fun idea! i'm crazy about chalkboard paint.

Kristi said...

Great idea. I can't wait to see the finished room.

Carrie said...

That's too fun!!! Great for giving your guests and welcoming message!

Stephanie said...

love it!

Christina said...

Looks great and love the message board idea!

delightfuldwelling said...

What a cute idea to use chalkboard paint!

Chris said...

I just love this idea! It's too cute!

Marie said...

Fabulous! Love it! Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com