Sunday, June 28, 2009

Furniture Makeover - Part I

As part of the guest bedroom remodel, I decided to give the ugly dorm room twin bed a makeover.

This is my very first furniture makeover and wanted to "practice" on a piece that didn't cost much and in this case, costed NOTHING. We picked this up from a neighbor who was foreclosing on their home and was giving away several items for free. While I am not fond of its bland style (or lack of), I figured this will do for a designer wanna-be on a budget :) And I am just imagining how much nicer this bed will look with new and soft bedding.

So, I am doing this bed makeover in three sections - 1) Footbard 2) Headboard and then 3) the frame sides.

Here is the whole bed before:
Here is the footboard before:

After sanding, priming and spray painting, here is the footboard after:

I decided to do a "message-board" footboard to personalize our welcome for each of our guest. So what you are seeing as the black paint is actually chalkboard paint!

More pictures and a tutorial post to come!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That turned out just gorgeous! Love the chalkboard idea, so fun!

Jane said...

Clever! Imagine your guests reaction to their very own monogrammed/personalized bed! Very fun!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Cute idea!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Very neat idea!

~ Sarah

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That is so cute!!! Very clever. Visiting from Kimba's party. :)

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

very fun idea! i'm crazy about chalkboard paint.

Kristi said...

Great idea. I can't wait to see the finished room.

Carrie said...

That's too fun!!! Great for giving your guests and welcoming message!

stephanie h said...

love it!

Christina said...

Looks great and love the message board idea!

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea to use chalkboard paint!

Chris said...

I just love this idea! It's too cute!

Marie said...

Fabulous! Love it! Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com